e. kevin at kuzasneu.com
Kevin Kuzas represents businesses in a broad range of technology, transactional, operational and content matters. Clients include major technology and telecommunications companies, top websites, cable television networks, and leading Internet service providers.
Kevin’s expertise includes sophisticated commercial transactions, e-commerce, distribution of high-value content, intellectual property rights and clearance, and privacy law, honed over 20 years of experience guiding clients through the legal challenges presented by rapidly developing new technologies and disruptive business models.
Kevin has been at the highest level of legal practice for nearly two decades, combining a unique blend of experience both at premier law firms and in-house. From 2004-2008, Kevin held senior legal roles in-house at Comcast, including serving as VP and General Counsel at Comcast Interactive Media, where he was responsible for legal and business affairs for the growing Internet businesses of the company. He was previously a partner in two of the leading firms in Washington, DC. Before entering private practice, Kevin clerked for United States District Judge Samuel Conti in San Francisco. He is a graduate of the University of Southern California and the University of Virginia School of Law.
Kevin writes and speaks frequently on technology law, including recent addresses at the University of Pennsylvania’s School of Law’s Annual Intellectual Property Symposium, the Pike and Fischer Overcoming Obstacles in Web 2.0 Forum in Washington, D.C., and Digital Hollywood events in LA and New York.
Kevin’s experience in transactional work extends from the everyday business needs to “bet the company” deals.His experience spans the gamut of media/technology deals, with particular expertise in (1) the distribution of content over a variety of media, including cable, Internet and wireless networks, and (2) the technology required to get that content to the audience and monetize it. His experience includes:
Kevin provides counseling services on a variety of strategic and operational issues, merging legal advice with solid business judgment gleaned from years of experience with clients’ businesses and industries. Counseling services include:
Kevin’s experience includes cutting-edge and high-dollar matters. Recent projects include, among others:
- Negotiating a multi-year lease/services contract for a crucial data center for a major Internet provider.
- Negotiating wholesale and dealer relationships for a leading wireless provider.
- Representation of both content owners and distributors in agreements for distribution of television content on new platforms, including cable VOD and online.
- Management of high-level negotiations between content providers and distributors on anti-piracy efforts, content security measures, and business rules for content portability
- Representation of clients in FTC proceedings regarding behavioral targeting and privacy considerations related to advertising
- Representation of major US Internet Service Provider in creation of multi-year strategic partnership for Internet search with leading search company
- Development of policies for employee use of social media for business purposes
- Creation of legal framework for submission and display of user-generated content for leading website provider
- Representation of leading website provider in RFP process and eventual transaction for outsourcing sales and management of display advertising inventor
- Development of compliance policies and procedures for Internet business units of public company